Monday 20 June 2011

Schmeichel bid accepted by Leeds

Leeds United have accepted an offer from Leicester City for goalkeeper Kasper Schmeichel. The 24-year-old Dane is just to agree terms with the Foxes before he is unveiled as the club's new goalkeeper.

United's boss, Simon Grayson, said that he pleased with the deal.

"We feel this is the right deal for the club. We spoke to Kasper's agent at the end of the season about a contract extension and it was apparent that it was going to be difficult to agree a deal. Given the fact he has one year remaining on his contract we feel this is in the best interests of Leeds United."

Schmeichel - son of former Manchester United and Denmark keeper Peter - started his professional career with Manchester City, making loan appearances for Darlington, Bury, Falkirk, Cardiff and Coventry before moving on to Notts County then Leeds United for a successful season: he kept 9 clean sheets in 37 appearances for the Lilywhites in the Championship last season.

The Dane has, however, revealed via his Twitter account that he is not yet ready to sign a deal with any club. In his statement he reiterated that he is yet to sign a deal to move away from Elland Road.

"I want to put on record that I have never asked to leave the Leeds United, nor did I reject an offer for a new contract, since one was never put to me. I was enjoying being a Leeds United player and was looking forward to winning promotion this season with the club.

"I have spoken to the manager Simon Grayson and he has made it clear to me, that, in spite of having played well for him, this is something he believes is a good deal for Leeds United. I have been put in a very difficult situation and will spend some time considering my options for my future."

The deal seems now to be on hold pending that decision from Schmeichel.

Edited 21/06/2011 16:56

No comments: